Thursday, March 3, 2011

Post Number 100, A Ruthian Achievement

This post marks my 100th post here. It took me a bit longer than I thought it would, but nonetheless, here I am. I'd like to take this time to thank those who read, comment and follow this blog. As much as I enjoy blogging, its you guy who inspire me to continue with this blog through your own terrific blogs and encouraging comments. I have been blessed to have gotten some positive feedback from some very talented writers here and I can only hope that the next 100 posts here will keep you all coming back to read it.

So, for my 100th post, I wanted to share an autograph that is the centerpiece of my autograph collection. For this story, I have to take you back a few years to 2007. I went to the Westchester Card Show. I had gotten a pretty good return on my taxes and was looking to spend. I believe that day, Mike Myers (the pitcher, not the actor or serial killer) and Scott Proctor were signing. I needed both for my Yankee baseball collection, so I decided to get them. While perusing the tables, I noticed a dealer selling 2005 Upper Deck Baseball tins for 25.00 a piece. I bought two, hoping for some Yankee legends to add to the PC. I walked to the back of the line and waited for the signing to begin. While there, I decided to open the tins. Now, when I go to a card show and buy any boxes, I usually wait till I get home in case of a huge pull. I wouldn't want to lose it during the day.


I open the first tin and lo and behold, I get a Yogi Berra autographed card. Sweet! Always nice to get a Yogi auto. I also pulled a Brooks Robinson auto, which was weird as I thought it was one hit per tin. The second tin produced nothing. Nice Babe Ruth insert though, me being the insert loving SOB that I am. Oh well, I thought. I hit with two autos on the first tin, I guess I can't complain. I glanced over the cards from the second tin again, passing the Ruth insert again when it it me. Why is there a facsmile auto on it? I went back and looked closer at it and realized something. This was no insert. It dawned on me that I just hit the pull of a lifetime. A 1/1 Babe Ruth cut autograph. Normally, I like to think I do act with a bit of decorum, but I allowed myself a loud HOLY S#!t!!! People looked at me like I was a weirdo. Then someone glanced over my shoulder and yelled out "this guy just pulled a Ruth auto!" People on the line offered their congradulations and went about their business.


As side from letting a father and son look and hold the card, I jumped off the line and bought a magnetic protector and put the card away. This baby was going to be kept in the most prestine condition I could keep it in. As soon as I got home, I took a picture of it and put it away in the family safe deposit box where it still resides.


I have had offers for the card, but I declined all of them. Some of my friends have told me to sell as it would help me financially, but no. As a Yankee collector, I know I would never be able to afford another at a later date and plus my Yankees collection looks really awesome with it in there. I guess I would sell it later if I need the money for retirement or if I ever kids and need to put one through college. But if I had my choice, that baby will be buried with me.


So, for the curious, I show you, my prized possessionThis card rules all others that came before it. Long live the cut!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 100th post!!!

    Great story and even better card. Those are the two best tins of UD Baseball I've ever heard of. Wow, Berra, Robinson and Ruth auto's all in two tins. Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Charles: Thanks alot. I doubt I will ever be able to match that day.

    @Greg: Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Ruth card. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here could be your new prized possession. http://cgi.ebay.com/DEREK-JETER-2009-TOPPS-SKETCH-ART-1-1-CARD-GREATEST-ONE-/120533371646?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1c10594afe.

    Break open your piggy bank

    ReplyDelete