Thursday, March 3, 2011

Post Number 100, A Ruthian Achievement

This post marks my 100th post here. It took me a bit longer than I thought it would, but nonetheless, here I am. I'd like to take this time to thank those who read, comment and follow this blog. As much as I enjoy blogging, its you guy who inspire me to continue with this blog through your own terrific blogs and encouraging comments. I have been blessed to have gotten some positive feedback from some very talented writers here and I can only hope that the next 100 posts here will keep you all coming back to read it.

So, for my 100th post, I wanted to share an autograph that is the centerpiece of my autograph collection. For this story, I have to take you back a few years to 2007. I went to the Westchester Card Show. I had gotten a pretty good return on my taxes and was looking to spend. I believe that day, Mike Myers (the pitcher, not the actor or serial killer) and Scott Proctor were signing. I needed both for my Yankee baseball collection, so I decided to get them. While perusing the tables, I noticed a dealer selling 2005 Upper Deck Baseball tins for 25.00 a piece. I bought two, hoping for some Yankee legends to add to the PC. I walked to the back of the line and waited for the signing to begin. While there, I decided to open the tins. Now, when I go to a card show and buy any boxes, I usually wait till I get home in case of a huge pull. I wouldn't want to lose it during the day.


I open the first tin and lo and behold, I get a Yogi Berra autographed card. Sweet! Always nice to get a Yogi auto. I also pulled a Brooks Robinson auto, which was weird as I thought it was one hit per tin. The second tin produced nothing. Nice Babe Ruth insert though, me being the insert loving SOB that I am. Oh well, I thought. I hit with two autos on the first tin, I guess I can't complain. I glanced over the cards from the second tin again, passing the Ruth insert again when it it me. Why is there a facsmile auto on it? I went back and looked closer at it and realized something. This was no insert. It dawned on me that I just hit the pull of a lifetime. A 1/1 Babe Ruth cut autograph. Normally, I like to think I do act with a bit of decorum, but I allowed myself a loud HOLY S#!t!!! People looked at me like I was a weirdo. Then someone glanced over my shoulder and yelled out "this guy just pulled a Ruth auto!" People on the line offered their congradulations and went about their business.


As side from letting a father and son look and hold the card, I jumped off the line and bought a magnetic protector and put the card away. This baby was going to be kept in the most prestine condition I could keep it in. As soon as I got home, I took a picture of it and put it away in the family safe deposit box where it still resides.


I have had offers for the card, but I declined all of them. Some of my friends have told me to sell as it would help me financially, but no. As a Yankee collector, I know I would never be able to afford another at a later date and plus my Yankees collection looks really awesome with it in there. I guess I would sell it later if I need the money for retirement or if I ever kids and need to put one through college. But if I had my choice, that baby will be buried with me.


So, for the curious, I show you, my prized possessionThis card rules all others that came before it. Long live the cut!