Friday, December 6, 2013

Some Random Thoughts

I wish I had the guy that intro'ed SNL's Deep Thought's back in the 90's to intro this for me. 

Anyway, There was a few topics from some news items this week that I wanted to kick things off with:

Gal Godot is Wonder Woman in Batman Vs Superman


Personally, I am not too crazy about this.When I look at her, I don't see Wonder Woman. Yes, she has the height to pull it off, but not the weight, which she can gain. The question is, how fast. I think they start shooting in Feb and she is going to have to not only put on weight, but muscle too. People can point to Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman and and say she didn't have muscle and she pulled off the role and I would agree, but this is a different time. I want Wonder Woman to look like she can stand toe to toe with any villain, including Batman and Superman. 

I understand that she can put on the weight and she can be taught how to fight with a sword and her fists (if she doesn't already now how), but the perfect candidate was already out there in Jamie Alexander. She too has the height for the role but, unlike Gadot, has already proven she can be a convincing ass kicker and already looks the part.

I just want Wonder Woman to be done right. She is one of the three pillars of the DC Universe. There has been so many attempts at getting a Wonder Woman TV series or movie done and she is one of the characters in comics I feel deserves a movie. If done right, Wonder Woman could be a great movie.

I am willing to give Zach Snyder and the WB a break though. They picked a great Superman (although I will pass my judgement on Ben Affleck when I see the movie) and if they think Gadot will be a good Wonder Woman then so be it.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Trailer Dropped This Week


So, I got to see the trailer the morning Sony released it upon the masses and I have to say there is a lot I like about it. That said, there are a couple of things I didn't like about it. If you haven't seen the trailer just yet, you probably should stop reading this right now.

Still here? OK, I warned you...

I love the new suit. It looks more like the classic Spidey costume, which is what I was hoping would happen after the first movie. I will be honest, when I first saw the first costume, I despised it, but after viewing the film it grew on me. But I really didn't want it's return in the second movie, so good job on taking care of that.

I LOVED seeing Doc Ock's tentacles and the Vulture's wings in that one scene in what I assume to be a room in Oscorp. This must mean that we could possibly get the Sinister Six in part 3. We have the Goblin, Rhino, Electro, Vulture and Doc Ock. Who would be the 6th? A returning Lizard? Personally, let's get Venom in this group and have him done right.

Also, in one scene, if you pause it, there is a Venom file in the Oscorp computer files. (shrieks like an excited girl after seeing One Direction)

Dane DeHaan looks like he is going to be great in this. I've never seen anything he's done before, but sometimes you can just tell when someone is going to be good and I just have that feeling about DeHaan in this.

 I was initially bummed when Chris Cooper's name was dropped from the cast list, but I was elated to see him in the trailer. As much as I liked Willem Defoe as Norman Osborne, Chris Cooper is the type of actor that can take a role like this and run with it and make it his. 

Another initial casting choice that may make me regret doubting it is Jamie Foxx. I'm sure we will get the fans complaining he doesn't look like Electro or snicker at his voice, which fans are already doing, but after seeing the trailer, I think Foxx is going to prove that his inclusion in this movie is a good one. 

I also liked seeing the Daily Bugle all over the trailer. I am hoping for a J. Jonah Jameson cameo. If it's J.K. Simmons, I would really like that too.

I didn't like the Rhino-Dino in this movie. Really? Rhino is a machine in this movie? You couldn't CGI the Rhino suit on top of Paul Giamatti? Plus he's a Russian Mobster? Come on, I'm all for a tweek of a character, but not this. I am a big Giamatti fan, but I think he is all wrong for this role. 

I would have preferred they kept the Goblin until the 3rd movie and it be Norman Osborne. From the looks of the trailer and movie poster, DeHaan is going to be the Green Goblin. It seems they still didn't get the outfit right either. Green armor and no mask. What, is he going to be deformed to look like a Goblin? I'm not really sure how I feel about the Goblin in this. I guess I will have to see for myself and then make a decision. 


We geeks got a couple of things to talk about this past week. Now, maybe you agree or disagree with me on the points I made. Leave them in the comments section. I would love to read them. Maybe you might change my mind about a few points I made previously. I mean, I have been wrong before and it wouldn't be the last time I'm wrong either. Just be nice about it. I'm fragile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment