Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Pop Goes The Spider


Man, I just keep finding different and unusual Spider-Man items to add to my collection. As usual, I was cruising on eBay, looking at Batman, Spider-Man, Luke Skywalker, Marvel, DC items. Even though I really wasn't looking for anything to buy, I love to look on eBay. I call it "Virtual Window Shopping". Even if I don't buy something, I like to look to see what's out there and sometimes I find something I do want and will put in a bid. This time, I found something, put in the bid and won it.


This is a Spider-Man Jack In The Box. Yes, you read that right. A Spider-Man Jack In The Box. It was made by a company called Schylling back in 2005. I don't know much about Schylling, but I know that this thing is awesome. I do remember seeing this at Target back then. It was only once and I never seen it again. I swore if I did see it, I would pick it up. Now, 9 years later, I have it in my collection.

What I really love about this Jack In The Box is the vintage Spider-Man lithography that is all around this box. The front of it has the cover of Amazing Fantasy #15 with Spidey in all his 3D glory.


In fact, on every side of the tin box has panels from that legendary comic book all around it.

 
How's that spider bite feeling, Peter?


The Steve Ditko drawn goodness is everywhere on this box. Then again, I always thought that more Ditko was a good thing.


Even the top is awesome.

Want to see how it works?


And the end result is this piece of awesomeness


Heck, even the doll inside is a vintage, Steve Ditko-ish Spider-Man. Excuse me while I geek out over this. I love that it plays the theme to the 1967 Spider-Man cartoon as you crank the handle.

I've always loved the classic look of Spider-Man. It didn't matter if Steve Ditko or John Romita Sr. drew him, I was enjoying the book. Now, I found an item that ties into that part of the character's history. I know I'm not going to ever own everything Spidey related, nor do I want to. I just want to pick up the coolest things and this definitely fits into that category.

No comments:

Post a Comment