Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Another Bat Grail Obtained!



One of my favorite periods of the Batman's history is the 1960's. Probably because of the T.V. series, but that's not all. There was a new costume design for Batman, a legendary artist taking over in the comics and a new Saturday morning debuting from Filmation. But best of all, there was a ton of Batman goodies released during the decade.

I wanted to add more toys from this era to my Batman collection and one of those items I desperately wanted was a Batman hand puppet that was put out by Ideal. Ideal put out a some really nice puppets during the 1960's like Spider-Man, The Joker, Robin, The Green Hornet and The Munsters. These were all awesome puppets and would look great on my shelf, especially Spider-Man and the Green Hornet. But the one I wanted was Batman.

I came close to adding him to my collection a couple of times but always got out bid on eBay. I almost bought one last year at a flea market in NJ, but I wasn't crazy about the condition for the price the dealer was asking. I waited for he right time to jump on one and I finally was able to win one in great condition for a fraction of what I had been bidding.


Here is Batman. You can just tell that this puppet was well taken care of. There are barely any markings on him and the cloth is in terrific shape.


The only mark you see is on the back of Batman's head. The black mark was not nearly enough to make me lose my interest in owning this piece.


Not sure why, but I always dug that smirk on his face. It's like he's daring you to break the law because he will hit you with a can of Bat-Shark repellent. 


The cloth body is in near perfect condition for being 47 years old. I hope I look this good when I hit that age. 

I am overjoyed I can cross this off my Batman want list. The past 2 weeks, I have been able to lessen that list by 2. Hopefully, as the year goes on, I can find a way to cross even more items off that list, because I'm sure I'll add more stuff I want to it. My goal isn't to have the best Batman collection, just one I can be proud of. I'm on my way there.

9 comments:

  1. Hobgoblin took the words right out of my mouth. That Batman puppet is in awesome shape and I am sure it looks great amongst your Batman collection. I think it's awesome you are working on your goals and working your way down your checklist too. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much John. I appreciate the kind words.

      Delete
  2. Wow Amazing that is one FANTASTIC Bat Piec. Excellent hunting my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you Kirk. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! Congrats on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. Appreciate the kind words.

      Delete
  4. There is nothing like finding one of these Grail pieces that you have been searching for, sometimes for decades. I have a similar chase on for the Oscar Goldman with Exploding Briefcase and of course, the Great Garloo, which I have never even see in person.

    ReplyDelete