Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Birthday Gifts Part 2


For part 2 of my showing off the birthday swag, I am showing off 2 comic books my buddy, George, gave me. Now these are comics from my childhood, the 1970's. When I tore off the wrapping paper and saw the comics I got, I was quite pleased to, say the least.


If you were a child of the 70's, you owned over sized comic books or Treasury Editions, at one time or another. Usually, the stories inside were reprints of older stories, but there was about 3 or 4 stories in these issues. I remember owning quite a few of these. I would lie on the floor, on my belly and read these books. These were my graphic novels, before there were graphic novels. I read stories about the Justice Society Of America, Superman, Wonder Woman, and one shot stories like Spider-Man vs Superman or Superman vs Muhammad Ali and loved reading them. George had given me a Spectacular Spider-Man book and now he added these two to my collection.


I had been actually watching a few eBay auctions, hoping to snag this book. Luck would have it, I got one for my birthday. Love the cover art on this book. Unfortunately, it doesn't say who drew it inside or out. There are 5 Batman stories inside written by writers like John Broome, Bill Finger, Denny O'Neil and art by Neil Adam, Carmine Infantino and Dick Sprang. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I really can't wait to read some of the classic stories that are inside.


A shot of the back cover


A look at some awesome Infantino art on the inside.


Here's a book I had owned as a kid and was thrilled to re-add to my collection. I loved reading this adaptation  of The Empire Strikes Back. Marvel did an excellent job with it and  look forward to re-reading this again. The book was written by Archie Goodwin with the art shared by Al Williamson and Carlos Garzon. Not an exact word for word retelling of the movie, but it didn't have to be. The writing was real good in this book and the art was fantastic. Flipping through it bought back tons of memories for me.


A look at the back of the book. AT-AT's on a cold Hoth day.


A look inside of the book. What did I tell you about that art, huh? Pretty sweet.

Big thanks to my buddy George for the trip down memory lane with these two awesome comics. I am definitely to old to lie on my belly on the floor (I might be able to get back up), but I am going to have fun reading these books and feeling young while doing so.

2 comments:

  1. I have both those issues. What I think is cool about The Empire Strikes Back adaption is, it has the deleted scenes in it. Something that we had to wait over thirty years to see again when the Blu-Rays were released with all the deleted scenes from the original trilogy were included.

    ReplyDelete