Sunday, April 7, 2013

New Comic Book Pickups

As of late, I really haven't been picking up a lot of comics. I've been mainly concentrating on picking vintage toys for my various collections or new items for my sports collections (if you want to check out the sports blog, you can check it here :http://thesexygeekssportsroom.blogspot.com/ ). I have been picking up various comics here and there, but I had decided a long time ago to just stick with the graphic novels and not pick up any single issues.

Well, I kind of back peddled on that promise yesterday when I dropped by Midtown Comics to see what they had on the shelves. I wound up picking up a few new issues for me to read during the week. My geeky soul thanked me over and over for the new books to read as it missed the characters, the papers and the adventures.

So, what did I pick up?


Of all the comics I used to read, I never stopped buying Batman. I really haven't bought Detective Comics, Batman Incorporated or any of the other Batman related books and I'm sorry I haven't. As you probably know, Robin, Damian Wayne was killed off by an aging, crazed clone of himself in Batman Incorporated #8 and I missed it. Midtown still had copies as well as copies of the beginning of the Requiem story arch, in which Batman deals with the lose of his son and his wanting to avenge his death against his mother Talia Al Ghul, whose assassin was the one who killed Damian.


I have been enjoying this Star Wars story called Star Wars: In The Shadow Of Yavin, which takes place between New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. In this story, The Rebel Alliance has been searching for a new home base and learns that there is a spy in the Alliance. Leia, Luke and others team to search for a new base as well as flush out the spy, while Han Solo and Chewbacca go off on a secret mission to Coruscant. The story also deals with Darth Vader's faliure in New Hope and his getting back in the Emperor's good graces. If your a fan of the original trilogy, like I am, pick up these books.


I have always been a huge Green Hornet fan. I loved the TV Series. I liked the movie as well, although not as much as the TV series. I have been wanting to read some of the Green Hornet graphic novels, especially Kevin Smith's run as on the book. His book was supposed to have been made into a movie years ago with George Clooney as the Hornet, so I need to hunt those books down. For now, I picked up the first issue of this comic with Mark Waid  writing. It takes place in Chicago in the 1930's and follows Britt Reid and Kato as they fight crime, posing as criminals. Read the first book and loved it. Might be time to start a small vintage Green Hornet collection.



Yeah, yeah. I know what I said regarding Superior Spider-Man. I wasn't going to pick it up, I hated what they did to Peter Parker, yadda yadda yadda. well, I made the mistake of reading the first 2 issues of the book, with the intentions of having it further cement my hatred for what happened to Parker. After reading the first two issues, as well as the next two, I hated to admit it: the comic was very good. This was a different maybe even fresh take on the character. Doc Ock is trying to be the best Spider-Man, but at times a bit of the old Doc Ock will resurface. The spirit of Peter Parker is there right by Ock's side to make sure he doesn't do anything wrong. It kinda reminds me of Firestorm, except that Ock doesn't know Parker is floating around. It's an interesting dynamic and I'm curious to see how they will bring Parker back (you know they are going to eventually), although it doesn't look like they will make the switch anytime soon.


I also picked up this Age Of Ultron tie in, even though I am not reading that arch. I figured I'd take a peek at what's going on with this issue, provided that I don't get lost reading it.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the purchases and cannot wait to sit down and read them. I have been enjoying previous issues of these books and enjoyed the first issue of the Green Hornet book. I'm still trying to pick up just the graphic novels, but for now, I'll just enjoy reading these books and getting my geek on.

4 comments:

  1. I miss picking up English comics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why not subscribe and have them mailed to you?

      Delete
  2. Well,dammit, now I'm curious about Superior Spider-Man. I have to admit, I liked the cameo he had in Daredevil (of of the few Marvel titles left standing on my sub list).

    I may have said this before, but $5 says that Doctor Strange is involved in Peter's return.

    ReplyDelete