Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Kelly Stinnett Game Used Bat

One of the areas of my collection that I would love to try and grow in the upcoming year is my teeny tiny game used collection. Collecting game used equipment is not exactly a cheap hobby, but it is holding a piece of equipment that was used in an actual baseball game.

So today, submitted for your viewing pleasure, I give to you the only Yankees game used bat I own, my Kelly Stinnett game used bat. This was a gift from a secret santa in my team collectors group. Stinnett played 14 seasons in the majors as a backup catcher. He played only part of the 2006 season with the Yankees after signing a one year deal with them. He batted .228 with a homer and 9 RBI's in 34 games played with them. He did start 24 games behind the plate and threw out 20% of the runners who attempted to steal on him and had a fielding percentage of .989. He was designated for assignment on July 26th 2006 after the Yankees traded for Sal Fasano. He finshed that season with the New York Mets.

Lets take a look at the bat.


I'm not a bat expert, but as you can see, it's light colored bat.I believe the term used for the color is blonde.

His name is etched into the bat head as well as the team he was playing for, in this case the Yankees

You can also see, Stinnett did like to use the pine tar. The bat has lots of the stuff on it.



And probably the coolest part about the bat, the break in the handle. Love seeing use on equipment.
I'm not sure what game this was from. I really don't know how to look that up. It's still a cool piece to own in my Yankees collection. I would love to get more bats especially of Tino Martinez and Mark Teixeira as those are the Yankees I specifically collect. Like I said before, collecting game used equipment is not cheap. If you want to learn more about the hobby from other collectors, check out gameuseduniverse.com. You can see other collections, learn and even buy pieces to start your collection.
If you have any game used in your collection, post what you own in the comments section.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice.

    I wonder what a game-used bat from Mark Texeira goes for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,I've seen Tex bats go for as little as 250.00 to as much as a thousand. Of course, as with most things these days, you have to be real careful of the legitimacy of the bat.

    ReplyDelete